Friday, July 4, 2014

Interview (written for The Writer's Tower, July 2014, Theme : Paradox)

Written for The Writer's Tower, July 2014.
Theme : Paradox

Inspired by an article I read on Linkedin.

And I actually support Spain but unfortunately they decided to be extremely kind this year.

*

Staring at my notes feeling frustrated over my inability to memorize the cases on tort law, I wonder if I should give up and just go and watch football. It's Germany vs. France - Manuel Neuer!  Julian Draxler! Mats Hummels! Bastian Schweinsteiger! Andre Schuerrle!

I am on my way to the living room to catch the remaining of the match when I accidentally glance at the whiteboard nailed to my door. The whiteboard is where I scribble my dreams, goals and motivational quotes.

There's nothing by Thomas Edison or Dalai Lama today. What's written is : Three more months to working life - Study now and make yourself proud!

Oh boy, working. I can't wait to start working! That's when I can buy pretty clothes with my own money!

Now that really gets me walking back to my study table. How difficult can it be to memorize Donoghue v Stevenson? Lord Atkin. Neighbour principle. Snail in ginger beer.

Funny how easy memorizing becomes when I'm motivated.

I'm ready for final exam tomorrow. Yes!

*

I rush home to switch on my laptop once exam is over. There's no time for post exam celebration and all those nonsense. I need every hour every minute every second available to start applying for jobs.

Lenovo is a great company but unfortunately they don't have any entry level position available. Microsoft is only taking intern whereas Dell is only hiring temporary staff.

Finally I come across this:

Inside Sales Representative (supporting Australia market), HP
Description

Working hours : 6am - 3pm for January - June; 7am - 4pm for July - December

Salary : RM 2500 + OTE package
  • Demonstrates ability to apply IT and/or industry solution, product, service knowledge to solving business challenges.
  • Demonstrates a successful ability to leverage HP's portfolio of products and services to change the playing field against our competition.
  • Ability to research and understand client's industry to enable to understand client business strategies and challenges
  • Builds and orchestrates sales pipeline activity. Ensures active nurturing of deals and movement of opportunities to close. Manages a balanced pipeline representing all of the businesses being pursued.
  • Meets or exceeds quarterly and annual revenue and margin quotas.
  • Prospect Development or Lead Generation Skills
Qualifications

This is an Entry-Level, Bachelor's Degree Graduate Opportunity.
· Bachelor's graduate Degree in Business, Arts or Sciences
· Outstanding verbal (including telephone) and written communication skills
· Track record of achievement
· Ability to work in a fast changing environment
· Interpersonal skills
· Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team
· Some experience in customer service and/or sales
· Knowledge in IT Tools (database systems; MS-Office and computer tools.)
· Ability to open conversations and close deals

I get excited reading this. Even though I'm really hungry, this is not the right time for a bite. I need to amend my resume and send in my application right away!

*

Calm down, I tell myself in my heart. Take a deep breath. 

I have been memorizing my sales pitch, practicing my essay writing skills, reading on cheat sheets for personality tests, sharpening my interview skills and every other preparation that I can think of to make sure that I get this job since I received HP's interview invitation email five days ago.

"Siti Aishah."

I stand up, walk towards the room, knock the door, smile and say "Good morning, Mr Daniel" before sitting down.

Being the first candidate to be interviewed is nerve wrecking.

"Tell me something about yourself," Mr Daniel says, looking serious behind his frameless spectacles. He does not return my smile. 

My heart sinks. This is a bad start.

No, stay positive! Some interviewers like to test your stress tolerance level.

"My name is Siti Aishah. I was an intern with Lenovo for three months where I had the opportunity to work under inside sales department. I was able to consistently achieve 80% - 120% of my sales target. I also worked at PC Fairs during semester breaks where I sold Asus laptops. I developed a passion in IT sales through my internship programme and part time jobs."

Next question will probably be about my weakness, or what do I know about the company, or why do I want this job. Whatever the question is, I am prepared.

"Only three months of working experience?" Mr Daniel looks at me for the first time. "I need someone with at least 1 year of working experience in IT telesales."

"I am under the impression that this is an entry level position," No, that's not how this interview should go. He is still testing my stress tolerance level. That must be the reason why he is saying this. I force myself to give him a fake smile.

"Yes, it is an entry level position. Still, I need someone with at least 1 year of relevant working experience."

"Next candidate, Jason Yap!" 






No comments:

Post a Comment